Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Perspective

Sometimes, we all need a little perspective. You know how it is. We all have those days when the five-year-old can't seem to remember what you've told him for a nano second, the four-year-old is alternately screaming at the top of her lungs and crying every five minutes, and the baby keeps removing her diaper in order to be able to smear its contents around the room.

I don't know about you, but I can easily find myself having my own little pity party on those kinds of days. That's when it's important to have a little perspective. Sure Bubba is absent-minded, but he's so very caring towards his sisters. Bug's emotions can swing from end to end, but when she lands on happy, she wants to share it with the whole world. Hey, at least Bear is learning that she doesn't like a dirty diaper.

Recently, I've been learning perspective from a friend I have gotten to know a bit through the preschool weekly reading time at our local library. This dear sister in Christ is a shining example of how we should run to our Heavenly Father when things don't go the way we had planned. Denise is the mother to three young boys having previously lost her little girl to a debilitating disease. Her youngest son has undiagnosed (not for the lack of trying) mitochondrial disease and has been put on hospice at this time. Short of a miracle, her little boy may never be more than two years old.

She blogs regularly about the baby's condition (http://shaunsteyaert.blogspot.com/), and her posts are always full of praise for the gifts that God has bestowed upon her. Even in the days of grief, she is able to find solace in the knowledge that soon her boy will have eternal healing and will be walking, talking, and playing in heaven with Jesus.

This was the status she shared on Face book one January day.

"'Fear not for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I am your God, I will help you I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.'
~Almighty God, Isaiah 41:10
Thank you, God, for seeing us through our days, hard or easy, sad or happy. Thank you for knowing what is in our hearts even if we don't say it, forgiving our weaknesses and loving us the same. Thank You for hiding us under Your wing, holding ...us when we need comfort, and listening even when we are angry. Abba, Father, I love you and thank you for my storm. Refine me and our family so we may be what you designed us to be. Give me patience, wisdom and grace. Stay with me through it all, as I know You are, and may I honor You through the trial. Amen."
 
How many of us thank God FOR the storm? We always want a way to avoid the storm or to get out of it as fast as possible. I thank God for women like Denise, women who teach me more each day about completely and fully relying on the Creator of the Universe.
 
So, in those days when toddlers or teenagers are driving you crazy, would you join with me and grab onto a little perspective. Let's thank the Lord God for the gifts we have, and realize that sometimes the storm is just what we need.
 

1 comment:

  1. In follow-up:
    Little Shaun passed on from this life into the next on Saturday, May 11. I have read Denise's blog, and can only imagine what the next day, Mother's Day, was like for her. If you'd like to keep updated, check out her blog. God's doing a mighty thing because of that little boy and his family.

    ReplyDelete