Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It's Not Just Me

Sometimes, when your kiddo's special needs are social/emotional, it's hard for others to understand what you're going through. Bear's difficulties are more obvious, with medical explanations to accompany most of them, but it's not so for Bug.

Bug's anxiety issues leave her inflexible and controlling, a combination that easily can take over the atmosphere of a family. After a few rough incidents a couple of weekends ago, I spoke with her therapist about possible things we could do to help curb these behaviors. It was pretty interesting when the therapist told me that Bear was a much easier case for her. With her developmental delays, she's a pretty text-book case. However, Bug has her puzzled. She's just not exactly sure where we should start in order to help her. Sometimes it's nice to know that it's not just us, that we are not the only ones who see the daily struggles she has within herself and with the world around her.

This is the song that often runs through my head when I get a bit overwhelmed by our circumstances.

"One Day At A Time"
(Marijohn Wilkins/Kris Kristofferson)

Verse 1
I'm only human; I'm just a man(woman)
Help me believe in what I could be and all that I am
Show me the stairway
I have to climb
Lord for my sake
Teach me to take
One day at a time

Chorus
One day at a time, sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you
Give me the strength to do everything that I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Help me today
Show me the way
One day at a time.

Verse 2
Do you remember
When you walked among men
Jesus, you know when you're looking below
It's worse now than then
Pushin' and shovin' crowdin' my mind
Lord for my sake
Teach me to take
One day at a time                                 




No comments:

Post a Comment