Monday, March 18, 2013

The Moving Story

So I was about seven months pregant with our first child when my husband decided it was time to look for a new job. What was he thinking? Being that it was another government job, the process drug on for months.

Meanwhile, I was able to start attending my first ladies' Bible study. (The church we were attending always held these during the daytime, and as a teacher, that didn't fit into my schedule before I became a full-time momma.) The Bible study we were doing, Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer, kept talking week after week about following God's leading. God told Abram to leave his homeland and go. God told Ruth to leave her homeland and go. I began to question whether my husband might actually be right about this job change thing.

Then one October day, on the way to lunch after Bible study, my young son was crying in frustration in the backseat. I tried to give him his pacifier. Unfortunately, he had a rattle in his mouth that he just wouldn't take out. I told him, "You'll have to get rid of that rattle before I can give you your pacifier," and it was as if God suddenly said to me, "You'll have to get rid of what you're holding onto before I can give you what you really need." I called my husband and told him that I knew we were indeed supposed to be taking a new job and moving on, and one hour later that job that he had been waiting on since May was offered to him.

Since that day, I have been a better listener to the wisdom God gives my husband. I'm not perfect at it, but when the Lord keeps offering you sign after sign, you have to wake up and pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment